As you are most certainly aware, March 21, 2020, is marked every year as World Poetry Day. As a literary organization with growing influence in the Nigerian literary world, the Port Harcourt Literary Society will celebrate this year’s edition with the theme “Poetry and Society”.
Of special significance is that we will use the occasion to celebrate the great Chinua Achebe, who passed away on the same day, seven years ago. The sub-theme of the day is “The Poetry of Chinua Achebe”.
Consequently, we are delighted to invite you to be our guest on that day. We believe that your presence will make for an enriching experience.
Permit us to inform you that Prof J. P. Clark has accepted to be our Guest of Honour during this year’s World Poetry Day, on Saturday, March 21, 2020.
To commemorate World Poetry Day, we have a plethora of activities planned:
1. Tour of the ultra-modern PHLS Library Tour
2. Poetry/Literary Performances by Invited Schools (Competition)
3. Literary Quiz
4. Panel discussion: “Poetry and Society”
5. Presentation: “Celebrating the African Poet: the poetry of Chinua Achebe”
6. Spoken word presentation by guest poets
7. Cultural performances by invited schools
8. Open Mic/ Networking
In case you missed out on our February fun, read our newsletter for updates.